Thursday, January 21, 2010

All about Asher...

Wow, hello there blogland...oh, how I've missed thee!!! So much has happened since my last post and even before then, so I'm pretty sure I won't get caught up but I'll just start with the last few weeks.

Lots of changes have been happening in Asher's little world in this New Year. As he is quickly approaching 2, we knew we had to break his little love affair with his paci! In fact, his daddy declared it as Asher's new year's resolution! So, we discussed our strategy as to how we would help him lose interest in it and Ryan mentioned just taking it away cold turkey, but I had read about the idea of snipping the end off and decided it made more sense to let him make the decision that he was done with it, rather than it just disappearing and him not really knowing what happened to it or having any control over the situation. Well, it didn't even take a day and it was done! I snipped the end of the paci and told him it was broken. He looked at it and put it to his mouth, took it out (not really out b/c there wasn't enough left for it to be "in") and looked at me and said, "uh oh...it bo" (broke) and threw it on the floor! He's found it a few times since and does the same thing...just launches it across the room! And he's never mentioned it once since then! We were very pleasantly surprised, thankful and relieved (b/c i had been dreading dealing with taking it away)!!!

However, now that the paci is gone...our little amazing sleeper boy is not so much anymore! What is it about those things that instantly calm him and make all his cares go away...it's ridiculously wierd! Since we came home from the holidays...he decided he wasn't much interested in staying in his bed, so as soon as we would lay him in there he would climb right out. So we would try and rock him to sleep, so he would go on to sleep. That is working okay for bedtime (sometimes), but naptime...not so much! He'd much rather play with his sister or toys than lay down during daylight at this point in his life. When he had his paci, he was happy to lay down with that for 2 or 3 hours....but, noooooo...not now! We are NOT giving up naps before the age of 2...no, no, no! So with the climbing out thing...if he wakes up in the middle of the night (instead of finding his paci and going back to sleep), he just comes to our room and hops in bed with us now! The first night he did it was a little freaky! I suddenly felt this little thing beside my bed and I knew the "bigger thing" (Lynzi) was already in bed with us, so you can imagine my level of freaked-out-ness, trying to figure out who or what is at my bedside (since my "baby" should be in his baby bed!) So after that night, we had to get a gate to put in the hallway to make sure he could only come to our room and not go roaming the house in the middle of the night!

And the best news yet is that he is well on his way to potty training! I never expected him to be interested in it this early, but he's shown interest in going potty since way back at Halloween. He started following us to the bathroom and wanting to go too. So I got the little potty out and let him start sitting on it and he NEVER wanted to get off of it! On Halloween night, after trick or treating, he was about to take his bath and he sat on the potty and PEED! Mom and Dad were here that week and of course we all went crazy for him! Then two days later we left for Belize, so we really didn't work on it there. Then we came back for about a week before we went to Texas for Christmas and he went a couple times before we left on our trip. Now that we've been back, he's gone several more times. Most of them pretty much on his own. The other day, I went into the bathroom and he followed me and pulled down his pants and started working on getting his diaper off. So he sat down and when I was leaving the bathroom, I asked if he was done and he said no. So I went back to the kitchen and a few minutes later he came around the corner, real proud-like (he was patting his pants b/c he was proud not to have a diaper on...just pants!) So I told him lets go get a diaper on and when he turned around, I saw a wet spot on the back of his pants. So I got really excited and asked him if he went tee tee (b/c I figured he must have and dripped when he was pulling his pants back on.) So he ran to show me, hollering "tee tee" and pointing in the potty and sure enough there was pee in there! Then the other day, I was going to put him in a pull up, so we spent a little bit of time in the bathroom and he was on the potty and I stepped out to see something Lynzi was doing and I came back in and he had already gone pee in the potty! We're moving forward with it and we'll see if he keeps interest...I'll keep you posted. I'm so proud of him!

I can't get over how grown up he's getting and that he'll be 2 in less than one month (a month from yesterday)!!! He's just so darn cute and hilarious...(even at 2 a.m, when he meets me at my bedside!)



~my big boy on the potty~

~sweet smile~

1 comments:

The Sheffield Fam said...

Love Love Super Love It :)

Randy is scared of the potty all of a sudden :(